Pages

13 March 2012

NHS and NI on YMS, OMG

That's quite a lot of acronyms you got there, England.
And, it can be quite daunting when you're planning your trip, not knowing what any of them stand for. Well, NHS is National Health Service (sort of like OHIP) and NI is National Insurance (like Social Insurance). Having personal numbers for each is essential to starting your life in the UK, but figuring out how to register can be a bit of a maze.

Luckily, my boyfriend and his family knew exactly what steps I would need to take. It was pretty much the most helpful thing in the world, since the internet contained absolutely no information on how to obtain NHS and NI. I would have been completely lost without them. And unemployed, and probably perpetually-ill.
First, I applied for my NI. Simply head to your local Job Centre Plus (here is an extensive list) and ask one of the helpful associates that you're in need of an NI number and inform them that you're here on a YMS visa. They'll hand you a brochure and you'll have to send away for an application.

Once you receive it, you have about 2 weeks to complete it. You may or may not have to attend a 'Proof of Identity' meeting to - what else? - prove your identity. I didn't, but they did ask me for photocopies of a crapload of documents - my VISA, my passport, proof of address, etc. I believe that if you were to attend a Proof of Identity meeting, you'd be required to bring the same documents. After completing the application, I received my NI number within a week.

Next, I embarked on the pursuit of my NHS card. Everyone in the UK is born with one, making it nearly impossible to find information online about how to actually register for NHS if you're from another country. Little did I know it was as simple as going to my local doctor's office and filling out a form. Once I did that, I received my card within a few days. Find a doctor near you accepting NHS patients here.

No comments:

Post a Comment